National Seniors Day
October 1 is National Seniors Day.
The Government of Canada is proud to pay tribute to the seniors who have helped build our country and continue to make valuable contributions to Canadian communities, workplaces and society.
National Seniors Day is an occasion for all Canadians to appreciate and celebrate seniors. Below you will find tips and resources to celebrate the day and commemorate the seniors in your life.
National Seniors Day Celebration Tool Kit
There are lots of ways for individuals, community groups, schools, employers and families to celebrate National Seniors Day. Whether you are planning an event or simply meeting a senior for coffee, our Celebration Tool Kit will help you make the most of the day. The products and ideas below are merely a start. No matter how you choose to celebrate, your message will be heard—and appreciated!
- Postcard - Send a National Seniors Day electronic postcard, or download a postcard to say thanks to the seniors you know.
- Poster - Download or print a National Seniors Day poster that you can place in your office, community centre or other local organization.
- Feature Article - Post or share a feature article celebrating seniors' contributions in your area.
- Mayoral Proclamation - Officially declare October 1st as National Seniors Day in your community, town or municipality. Hold an event to mark the day and celebrate your declaration!
- Certificate of Appreciation - Know a senior who is making a real difference in the lives of others? Celebrate them with a certificate of appreciation.
- Website Button - Promote National Seniors Day by posting a button on your website.
- Tips for Celebrating National Seniors Day - Check out these additional ideas for celebrating the seniors in your life!
Plan an Event
The Government of Canada would like to know how communities are celebrating seniors. Please send us an email to tell us about your upcoming National Seniors Day event.
- Do-It-Yourself Guide - Use our new Do-It-Yourself Guide to help you prepare for your National Seniors Day activity or event.
- Sample News Release - Our sample news release will assist you in reaching out to media about your event.
- Sample Media Advisory - Use this customizable media advisory to inform the media about your upcoming activity or event.
- Sample Speech – Giving a speech to mark the day? Use this sample speech as talking points to speak at events.
- Sample Messaging for Social Media and Radio - Customize these Tweets and Facebook post to promote your event, or, for radio public service announcements, customize our prepared script and send it to your local radio station to promote your event.
- Frequently Asked Questions – To help answer questions related to National Seniors Day and the Government of Canada’s ongoing commitment to supporting seniors.
- Date modified: