Provincial and territorial resources on elder abuse
Table of contents
- Family violence info line - Available 24 hours a day for information, advice and referrals; Service provided in over 170 languages.
Toll-free in Alberta: 310-1818
- Safeguards for vulnerable adults information and reporting line - Report the abuse of an adult receiving publicly funded care or support services (Protection for Persons in Care); complaints of non-compliance to the accommodation standards for supported living and long-term care facilities (Accommodation Standards); or the actions of a co-decision maker, guardian or trustee (Office of the Public Guardian).
Toll-free in Alberta: 1-888-357-9339
- General information for seniors in Alberta
- VictimLINK - Help line for victims of family violence offering services in over 110 languages, including 16 North American Aboriginal languages.
- Seniors health care support line – allows seniors and their families, or other concerned individuals in their lives, to report concerns about their care.
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PST
- Seniors abuse and information line - Operated by the BC Centre for Elder Advocacy Support, SAIL is a safe place for older adults to talk to someone confidentially about situations where they feel they, or someone they know, is being abused or mistreated and to seek advice and support.
Seven days a week (excluding holidays), 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. P.S.T
- Information on elder abuse prevention
- Public guardian and trustee of BC - Services to adults who need help in decision making (legal rights, financial interests, and personal care interests). Contact Service BC to be transferred the PGT offices.
Vancouver: 604-660-2421; Victoria: 250-387-6121;
or other areas of BC: 1-800-663-7867.
- Seniors abuse support line - The toll-free Seniors Abuse Support Line is a confidential service that provides seniors and others with information and counseling about elder abuse issues.
- Protection for persons in care office - Protect adults from abuse while in personal care homes, hospitals or any other designated health facility.
Toll-free: 1-866-440-6366 or 204-788-6366.
- Department of Social Development - Adult protection for vulnerable adults, general information and referrals.
Toll-free: 1-866-444-8838 (Weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
After-hours emergencies: 1-800-442-9799
Adult protection referrals can be made 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Chimo helpline - Crisis help line
- Seniors Information Line - general information and referrals
- General information for seniors in New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador
- Violence Prevention Initiative (VPI) - Information on violence against older persons and others:
(click "Where to get Help" for local resources)
- The Adult Protection Act Provincial Report Line: 1-855-376-4957
(Visit The Department of Seniors, Wellness and Social Development for more information about the Act)
- Regional Health Authorities - Intervention and referral for concerns regarding violence against older persons.
Rural Avalon: 709-786-5245
St. John's: 709-752-4885
Bonavista/Clarenville/Burin Peninsula: 709-466-5707
Central Health: 709-651-6340
Western Health: 709-634-5551 (ext.226)
Labrador-Grenfell Health: 709-454-0372
- Royal Newfoundland Constabulary
Northeast Avalon: 709-729-8000
Corner Brook: 709-637-4100
Labrador West: 709-944-7602
- Emergency Contacts
Northeast Avalon, Corner Brook, Labrador City and Wabush: CALL 9-1-1;
Churchill Falls: 709-925-3333
Hearing Impaired: 1-800-363-4334
- Seniors Resource Centre of Newfoundland and Labrador - General information on abuse or neglect, and referrals.
- General information for seniors in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Family violence crisis line
For information, referrals, support and to apply for an Emergency Protection Order, the Crisis Line is available to older men and women who experience abuse (24 hour).
Toll-free: 1-866-223-7775 or 867-873-8257
- Seniors information line
Information, referrals, and support about the abuse of older adults, as well as general information. Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Toll-free: 1-800-661-0878 or 867-920-7444
- Regional Health and Social Service Authorities
Deh Cho: 867-695-3815
Fort Smith: 867-872-6200
Hay River: 867-874-7100
Tlicho Community Services Agency: 867-392-3000
- Sutherland House Crisis Telephone Line
You can call this line from anywhere in the NWT if you are having personal problems.
Crisis line: 1-867-872-4133
- General information for seniors in Northwest Territories
- Seniors abuse information line - information on abuse and referrals.
Toll-free: 1-877-833-3377 or 902-424-3163
- Seniors information line - general information and referrals.
Toll-free: 1-800-670-0065 or 902-424-0065
- Adult protection services and protection for persons in care - General Continuing Care intake line, including protection.
Toll-free: 1-800-225-7225 or 902-487-0640
- General information for seniors in Nova Scotia
- Elders support phone line - Peer to peer counselling for unilingual (Inuktitut-speaking) Elders. Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (or leave a message).
- Elder abuse Ontario – For public education, training and service coordination for the prevention of elder abuse.
- Ontario 211 - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, over 150 languages. Information on and referral to community services, including crisis services.
- Victim support line – Information and referrals for crime victims. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, over 150 languages.
- Seniors Safety Line – Information and referrals for abused and at-risk seniors. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, over 150 languages.
- Long-Term Care ACTION Line - For concerns and complaints from persons receiving service from Long-Term Care Homes and Community Care Access Centres. 7 days a week from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., English and French. Toll-free: 1-866-434-0144
- Retirement homes regulatory authority – To file a report of harm or risk of harm to a resident in a retirement home. 1-855-ASK-RHRA (1-855-275-7472)
- Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee
To access protections for mentally incapable adults who have no one else to act on their behalf, including conducting investigations, managing finances, reviewing accounts. Anyone may contact the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee to express concerns about a person who may be incapable and at serious risk.
- Assaulted women's help line
Access to crisis counselling, safety planning, emotional support, information and referrals to help women who have experienced any form of abuse.
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, over 150 languages.
Fem'aide offers French-speaking women who have experienced gender-based violence support, information and referral to the right services in their communities. Fem'aide can also respond to requests for information made by family and friends of women dealing with violence.
Toll-free: 1-877-336-2433 (available in French only)
- Ontario seniors' secretariat – General information for Ontario seniors. Seniors' INFOline
Prince Edward Island
- Adult Protection Program - Provide assistance or protection to vulnerable adults.
- PEI family violence prevention services - Confidential 24-hour crisis and support, plus information, outreach and referral.
Toll-free: 1-800-240-9894 or 902-892-0960
- Seniors Secretariat: Office of Seniors - General information and referrals.
- General information for seniors in Prince Edward Island
- General family violence information for seniors
- Victim services
Queens and Kings Counties: 902-368-4582
Prince County: 902-888-8217 or 902-888-8218
- Ligne Aide Abus Aînés French only
Toll-free: 1-888-489-ABUS (2287) 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 7 days a week.
- Centre d'aide aux victimes d'actes criminels (CAVAC)
Throughout Quebec: 1-866-532-2822 (1-866-LE CAVAC)
- Centres d'aide et de lutte contre les agressions à caractère sexuel (CALACS)
Toll-free : 1-888-933-9007
- Centres de santé et de services sociaux (CSSS) - The telephone number of the CSSS in your area is available from this site.
- General information on elder and financial abuse in the province of Quebec French only
- The Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse (Human Rights Commission):
- The Autorité des marchés financiers
- The Public Curator
- The Protecteur du citoyen
- General information for seniors in Québec
- Prince Albert Mobile Crisis Unit – 24/7: integrated, comprehensive, social and health crisis and emergency intervention service.
Prince Albert: 306-764-1011
- Regina Mobile Crisis Services – 24/7: integrated, comprehensive, social and health crisis and emergency intervention service.
- Saskatoon Crisis Intervention Service – 24/7: integrated, comprehensive, social and health crisis and emergency intervention service.
- Victim Services - Information and referral to local community based programs.
- The Public Guardian and Trustee - The Public Guardian and Trustee has authority to investigate allegations of financial abuse and to freeze bank accounts under certain circumstances.
- Seniors' services/adult protection unit
Toll-free:1-800-661-0408 (ext. 3946) or 867-456-3946
- Victim services
Toll-free: 1-800-661-0408 (ext. 8500) or 867-667-8500
- Victim link
24-hour crisis line. Toll-free: 1-800-563-0808
- General information for seniors in Yukon
- Date modified: